Friday, May 20, 2005

May 19th, 2005 - IT Productivity Hits an All Time Low

I'm finally recovered enough from the midnight opening of Revenge of the Sith to post some sort of review. I think I'll make a point of never going to a late movie on a work night ever again. My entire contribution to work Thursday consisted of suggesting Mexican food for lunch.

Here's a sorta review:

I loved it. There were definitely some movie mechanics things to nitpick about, but I had a blast. It moves pretty quickly. Even if the dialogue wasn't perfect, nothing stood out like a sore thumb the way Anakin whining or Jar Jar did in I & II. I think there is probably too much story for a single movie. You get the feeling that a lot of important events happened offscreen, and the progression to the dark side happens a bit too fast. I read a lot of people saying they came out of the movie and immediately wanted to go watch the original trilogy. I definitely concur.

The Good:
Jar Jar is rarely seen and never heard.
I liked Hayden Christensen in this one.
Yoda rocked
The Emperor nearly stole the show
The Obi-Wan/Anakin interaction was much better
R2 is still the best comic relief ploy
The visuals were stunning. The opening sequence was fantastic.
Lucas ties up a lot of plotlines at the end and sets the stage for the original trilogy
Wookies definitely trump Ewoks (or Gungans for that matter)

The Bad:
Some of the special effects look wrong. The clonetroopers look fake sometimes
IMO, It is too dark, violent, and emotional for small children. Take the PG-13 thing seriously. Much more violent than any of the others.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Joshua Flanagan said...

I haven't read any other reviews, so I don't know what the common memes are, but you nailed a lot of how I felt too. Especially that there was too much to cram into a single movie. I would have liked to see Anakin's switch more gradual. And the last 15 minutes or so felt like they just had to throw out some scenes to tie to the next trilogy - kinda like when movies that are based on true events show the last screen of text where you read about "where are they now".
But man that opening scene was great!
I also felt a little depressed leaving the movie. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't "fun", if that makes any sense. There wasn't much to cheer for, other than the fact that you know Anakin eventually does fulfill the prophecy (right?).
Its frustrating not being able to recommend it to my 8 year old nephew who has been so excited to see it.
But I'm happy with the movie, despite how the rest of my comments sound, for all the reasons you list.

3:23 PM, May 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home