Friday, June 10, 2005

Getting Out-Geeked By Your Product Manager (Off Topic)

I work in a pretty geeky shop, and I certainly mean that in a good way. From experience, I really don't trust people on software projects that aren't interested in technology and all the ancillary geeky subjects that seem to go with that. It's very difficult to be good at anything you don't enjoy doing. A passion for software development is a huge plus in my book.

John, my product manager, gets the Geek of the Day award for out-geeking all of us developers. John's qualifications:

  • Competing in the Ruby on Rails coding challenge
  • Sending me an email at 6:30 this morning telling me to check out Ajax.Net
  • Having read Dune out loud to his wife on his honeymoon (lifetime achievement award)
  • Being a Cold Fusion junky

All this from an ex-lawyer.

3 Comments:

Anonymous John Gilman said...

Corrections -

1. I didn't participate in RailsDay. I tried to talk you guys into participating - but got push-back because of inane excuses like "we don't know Ruby", "we don't know Rails".

2. My wife and I read "Dune" to each other on our honeymoon.

11:38 AM, June 10, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy D. Miller said...

I give you a forum to defend yourself, and you just dig a deeper hole...

11:42 AM, June 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel so bad. I'm pretty much of a geek too?

3:28 PM, June 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home